Crystal Lake Public Library
On November 15, 1913, the Crystal Lake Public Library opened in what was called the Dodge house, named after Mrs. H.A. Dodge, who donated her home for the library.
The library moved many times throughout the years as the collection and residents of Crystal Lake continued to grow. The library moves included housing in a heating plant, the high school and a number of other buildings, one which was destroyed by fire in 1971.
The current building has undergone many changes, including the latest renovations intended to help with a space issue.
As the biggest library in McHenry County, the library offers a large catalog of books, games, music and programs for adults, teens and youths.
The Crystal Lake Public Library (CLPL) is a twice-rated top-ten library in the United States, according to Hennen’s American Public Library Ratings. The library circulates more than one million items each year.
- Fax: 815-459-9581
- Hours: Mon - Thu, 9am - 9pm; Fri - Sat, 9am - 5pm; Sun (September - May), 1pm - 5pm
- Handicap Accessible: Yes
- Founding Date: November 15, 1913
- Parking: Free lot
- Specialties: Music, games, online catalog
- Services: Audiobooks, Movies, Music CDs, Research databases, Resources for job seekers
- Internet use policy: All users sign agreement. Minors must be accompanied by adult.
- Programs/classes: Movies, management classes, chess workshops, children reading programs, crafts, read to your dog
- Wi-Fi: Free
- Private events: Yes