Several Crystal Lake and Cary wrestlers qualified for the state wrestling tournament this past weekend after competing at sectional meets, according to the IHSA website.
Area wrestlers competed at sectional meets in Antioch and Barrington over the past weekend.
Cary-Grove's Michael Cullen, a sophomore, won the 113-pound title at the Barringrton meet while Crystal Lake Central's Andrew Marsden, a sophomore, won the 160-pound title at the Antioch meet.
Three Crytal Lake South wrestlers qualified with second place finishes at the Barrington sectional, including: junior Nick Gil at 126 pounds, sophomore Eric Barone at 132 pounds and senior Nick Peters at 138 pounds.
And two Crystal Lake Central wrestlers took home second place finishes at the Antioch sectional: Sophomore Kyle Fugiel at 145 pounds and senior Justin Ellman at 182 pounds.
Several other area wrestlers also qualified for next weekend's state tournament, including:
- Austin Ryan, junior, Jacobs High School; second place, 106 pounds
- Travis Piotrowski, freshman, Crystal Lake (Prairie Ridge); third place at 106 pounds.
- Logan Hanselmann, junior, Cary-Grove; fourth place at 120 pounds.
- Mike Infelise, senior, McHenry; fourth place at 126 pounds.
- Michael Underwood, senior, Cary-Grove; third place at 138 pounds.
- Wade Lardy, senior, McHenry; first place at 145 pounds.
- Brandon Mabry, senior, Huntley; third place at 195 pounds
- Mike Zalesco, junior, Crystal Lake Central; third place at 160 pounds.
- Brent Pfaff, senior, Crystal Lake Central; fourth place at 195 pounds.
- Darwin Stone, senior, Crystal Lake Central; fourth place at 220 pounds.
Qualifiers will now compete at the state tournament, which will be held Feb. 14 to 16 at Assembly Hall in Champaign.