Delays are expected and drivers are encouraged to plan additional time for travel.
The Tollway is mobilizing contractors to mill and replace areas of damaged pavement with hot-mix asphalt patches to provide an improved driving surface until the roadway is rebuilt this year as part of the I-90 Rebuilding and Widening Project.
Most of the I-90 roadway is more than 55 years old and, although it has been repeatedly resurfaced and repaired, the pavement is near the end of its useful life and last week’s sub-zero temperatures followed by thawing and heavy rains have prompted the need for additional pavement repairs.
From 3 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Thursday, January 16, westbound lane closures and traffic shifts are scheduled so crews can patch multiple lanes at the same time.
Two lanes will remain open between the Elgin Toll Plaza and Randall Road during repairs. Traffic between Randall Road and U.S. Route 20 and between Genoa Road and Mill Road will be reduced to one lane and shifted to the right shoulder.
The lane closures are scheduled during off-peak, daytime hours because warmer daytime temperatures are necessary for successful pavement repairs.
Work Zone Safety
A 45 mph speed limit is in effect 24/7 in all construction zones, whether or not workers are present. Drivers should continue to watch for changing traffic patterns, milled surfaces, uneven pavement levels and traffic shifts at bridges and use caution at all times. Illinois State Police have zero tolerance for drivers speeding in work zones.
The minimum penalty for speeding in a work zone is $375. Posted signs advise drivers of a $10,000 fine and 14-year jail sentence for hitting a roadway worker.
Getting Tollway Construction Information
The Illinois Tollway has a variety of ways customers can get the latest travel information, including:
- www.illinoistollway.com – Construction/Planning section, Tollway Trip Calculator and real-time roadway incident information
- 1-800-TOLL-FYI – Daily lane closure information
- www.travelmidwest.com – Real-time travel times
- www.nbcchicago.com – Up-to-the-minute traffic by roadway
- www.myfoxchicago.com – Latest traffic conditions
- www.twitter.com – Real-time roadway incident information at Tollway Trip 90, Tollway Trip 88, Tollway Trip 355 and Tollway Trip 94/294