.

Deep-Frying Turkey Sparks Crystal Lake House Fire

The potatoes were perfect, but a residential garage on Windsor Drive in Crystal Lake was "well done" on Thanksgiving Day.

 

A Crystal Lake family using a deep fryer to prepare their Thanksgiving meal cooked more than they anticipated on Thursday, the Chicago Tribune reports.

A homeowner in the 700 block of Windsor Drive, near Crystal Lake South High School, was deep frying a turkey in his garage when a fire broke out in the garage at about noon, the Tribune article stated.

Firefighters arrived to find smoke and flames coming from the garage. The garage sustained heavy damage and the contents were ruled a complete loss due to the smoke, heat and water damage. The fire caused $80,000 in damage, the article said.

No one was injured in the fire.





Kim G. November 23, 2012 at 01:51 AM
Ohhh, so that's what was going on down the street from us. We were just talking about this subject (turkey frying) during dinner. So sad for these people but not the smartest move.
Daniel Wagler November 23, 2012 at 01:40 PM
OMG- I Just said yesterday in my yearly "thank-you" letter to my clients- you deep fry turkeys OUTSIDE..HELLO- this has been going on for years now!
Mike November 23, 2012 at 08:05 PM
Hello All State, do I need: Flood insurance, Hurricane insurance, not so smart insurance?
Ed Brown November 25, 2012 at 02:07 AM
Mayheim man strikes again
Ellen November 25, 2012 at 03:34 AM
Hope the turkey didn't burn...

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »