Crystal Lake Park District’s renovation of the West Beach building was selected to receive the Outstanding Facility and Parks Award by the Illinois Park and Recreation Association (IPRA). The award recognizes public agencies for their exceptional and unique achievements in design and development. This project received the highest total points among the entries in its division and category from across the State of Illinois.
The existing bath house at
West Beach was demolished in August 2012 and the new building reopened in time
for spring programs and the 2013 beach season.
Features of the new building and beach area include:
- Handicap accessibility to the building and beach
- Multipurpose program room with kitchenette and a lake view
- Efficient office and first aid space for beach operations
- Family friendly restrooms with showers
- Patio and deck area overlooking Crystal Lake
- Upgraded fencing, landscaping and paving
- Architectural compatibility with the neighborhood
IPRA indicated in a congratulatory letter to the Crystal Lake Park
District, “It is an honor to announce that your nomination scored the highest
total points among those entries submitted in your division and category from
across the State of Illinois.” A plaque will be displayed at the West Beach
building. The West Beach renovation project will also be highlighted on large
video screens during the annual conference Awards Luncheon in January 2014. The
Conference, hosting thousands of attendees from across the State, is presented
by the Illinois Association of Park Districts (IAPD) and IPRA.