These are just a few of the activities planned as Crystal Lake's Centennial Celebration embraces all things fun about the winter season this Saturday, Dec. 7.
The "Centennial Winter Festival" is scheduled from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., and activities will be held at Main Beach, 300 Lakeshore Dr., and the Dole Mansion/ Lakeside Legacy Arts Park, 401 Country Club Rd., in Crystal Lake.
"It's going to be a beautiful event," said George Koczwara, deputy city manager for Crystal Lake (now serving as interim treasurer). "Everything's free except for the beverages and food."
The day's events include:
Main Beach Activities
- Iceless skating rink - Set up inside the Main Beach beach house
- Raging Buffalo snowboard attractions (rails) - at Main Beach
- Crystal Lake Park District used ski and skate sale - Main Beach
Lakeside Legacy/ Dole Mansion Activities
- Ice Sculpting Demonstrations by Nadeau - Lakeside Legacy lawn
- Storytelling presented by Crystal Lake Library from noon to 1 p.m. inside the Lakeside Legacy's "Listening Room."
- Play Mini Golf and Baggo - Lakeside Legacy lawn
- Bingo with prizes in the Dole Mansion
- Tree Lighting - at Lakeside Legacy
- Holiday Vendors featuring local shops in the Dole Mansion
- Madrigal Singers inside and outside the Lakeside Legacy Arts Park
- Trackless Train- at Lakeside Legacy
- Rosko Reindeer Petting Zoo - On the Lakeside Legacy lawn. Pet the reindeer before they gear up to pull Santa’s sleigh.
- Christmas carolers
- S'mores stationed sponsored by Exemplar Financial Network
- Hot beverages and treats served by Dawn's Bread/ Le Petite Marche from downtown Crystal Lake
- Roasted Nuts served by Morkes Chocolates, of Algonquin
- Free Crafts and Cookie Decorating from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. led by Amber Larsen and Scott Little from Creative Artistry School of Fine Arts. Crafts will be held inside Lakeside Legacy and at Creative Artistry, located behind Lakeside on Highland Avenue. Guests can either walk through Lakeside to get to the school or enjoy a wagon ride over there.
Christmas at the Dole and Winter Festival
Crystal Lake Centennial Celebration website