With the snow coming in full force today, Sheriff Keith Nygren would like to remind all residents of McHenry County of several safe driving tips and has provided links to several resources informing residents of building closures and on road conditions.
From the McHenry County Sheriff's Department, via the online service Nixle.
Here are a few suggestions the McHenry County Sheriff's Office has to help you drive safely.
• Please SLOW DOWN and watch out for BLACK ICE, drive at slow speeds as you may come across unsafe road conditions.
• Watch out for blowing or drifting snow on the roadways. This occurs especially in rural areas where there is nothing to slow down the strong winds.
• Please be aware of other drivers on the roadway and use defensive driving tactics.
• During the worst parts of these storms, it is strongly advised to not drive if you do not need to. If you do need to travel on the roadways, please take all appropriate precautions and emergency supplies with you.
• Please allow snow plow drivers room to work clearing the roadways.
In an event of an emergency please call 911 for assistance.
For Road Conditions on State Highways in Illinois, visit Illinois Department of Transportation site for information: http://www.gettingaroundillinois.com/ and click on Winter Road Conditions.
Information on Wisconsin Road Conditions: http://www.dot.state.wi.us/travel/
The McHenry County Government Center will post Building Closures on the Emergency Closing Center website: http://www.emergencyclosingcenter.com/ecc/home.jsp