Road Conditions Worsen as Snow Continues to Fall
Some roads have become impassable in McHenry County.
It could be a treacherous commute for many taking to area roads this evening.
Roadway conditions continue to worsen as heavy snow falls throughout the area with as much as eight inches of accumulation expected in areas. A winter storm warning remains in effect through midnight for McHenry County.
The McHenry County Sheriff's Office is advising motorists to avoid Route 31 between Crystal Lake and MchHenry due to a hill that has become impassable.
Motorists were also getting stuck on the hill on Haligus Road just south of Lakewood Road in Lake in the Hills, according to a comment on the Algonquin-LITH Patch Facebok page.
The Northwest Herald is reporting treacherous conditions on Route 14 and Route 176 as well. And a three-car accident at Route 31 and Route 62 is backing up traffic in the area, according to the Northwest Herald.
Meanwhile, the Illinois Department of Transportation is reporting snow- or ice-covered roadways throughout McHenry County and northern Illinois and the Illinois Tollway has mobilized its full fleet of 182 snow plows in response to the snowfall.
The Illinois Tollway offers the following tips for driving safe during
- Slow down and leave enough time to reach your destination
- Remember to always wear your safety belt and ensure children under the age of 8 are securely restrained in child safety seats
- Yield to snowplows and emergency vehicles
- Don’t text while driving. It’s illegal.
- Dial *999 on your cell phone to report incidents