Expect Tollway Congestion on Last Summer Holiday Weekend
Where to expect the heaviest traffic and how to plan your trip.
The Illinois Tollway is expecting approximately 7 million vehicles will travel the tollway system over the Labor Day holiday.
The tollway is suspending all temporary construction lane closures over the weekend beginning Friday, Sept. 2 through Tuesday, Sept. 6.
While temporary construction lane closures are suspended, motorists should be aware of major traffic shifts that are in place in construction work zones.
The tollway expects the heaviest travel on Friday when more than 1.6 million vehicles are projected to be on the road, and drivers will encounter construction work at several locations, including the Jane Addams Memorial Tollway (I-90) between U.S. Route 20 and Genoa Road and between Barrington Road and the Elgin Toll Plaza, and on the Tri-State Tollway (I-94/I-294/I-80) at the Tri-Level Bridge carrying the southbound I-294 ramp bridge to eastbound I-90.
On an average day, about 1.4 million vehicles use the tollway.
“Though summer is almost over, construction projects continue on parts of the tollway and we want our customers to be prepared as they travel this Labor Day weekend,” said Illinois Tollway Executive Director Kristi Lafleur.
Tollway Construction Zones
To make roads safer, the Tollway is suspending all temporary construction lane closures from noon on Friday, Sept. 2, through 9 a.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 6.
Some work may continue behind barriers to keep work on schedule, but this work will not impact traffic.
Major construction areas where drivers should plan for slower traffic during the holiday include:
Jane Addams Memorial Tollway (I-90)
• Traffic is shifted to the left in both directions between the Elgin Toll Plaza and Barrington Road for a roadway and bridge rehabilitation project.
• Eastbound traffic between Genoa Road and Anthony Road and westbound traffic between U.S. Route 20 and Anthony Road is scheduled to be shifted out of the express lane split configuration before the holiday weekend, shifting the two lanes of traffic to the right lane and right shoulder in both directions.
Tri-State Tollway (I-94/I-294/I-80)
• The southbound I-294 ramp bridge to eastbound I-90 is closed for rehabilitation work. Southbound traffic is routed to I-190, exit at Mannheim Road south, re-enter via the I-190 eastbound entrance ramp, then merge with eastbound I-90.
• Traffic is shifted to the left in both directions between Irving Park Road and Balmoral Avenue for construction of a new all-electronic exit ramp on the northbound Tri-State (I-294) to Balmoral.
• Traffic on the South Tri-State (I-294) is shifted to the left in both directions near I-57 for the Illinois Department of Transportation reconstruction of the I-57 bridges over I-294.
A 45 m.p.h. speed limit is in effect 24/7 in all construction zones, whether or not workers are present. The minimum penalty for speeding in a work zone is $375.
For more advice, read these stories: