The Meatless Monday movement has come to Crystal Lake. Duke’s Alehouse and Kitchen offers select vegetarian meals for half price on Monday. And, all specials at Duke’s on Monday are vegetarian. Duke's menu has a huge selection of vegetarian and vegan dishes every day of the week.
Meatless Monday is a global movement that aims to improve the health of the planet’s inhabitants as well as the health of the planet. The goal of Meatless Monday is to reduce meat consumption by 15 percent.
Some interesting facts from the Meatless Monday website:
- It takes an estimated 1,800 to 2,500 gallons of water to produce a pound of beef.
- Forty calories of fossil fuel go into every calorie of feed lot beef, compared to 2.2 calories of fossil fuel to produce one calorie of plant-based protein.
- The meat industry generates nearly one-fifth of man-made greenhouse gas emissions.
- People on low-meat or vegetarian diets have lower body weight.
- Studies suggest diets high in fruits and vegetables may reduce cancer risk.